[vbox-dev] Invitation to our Open Source Business Model Study

Marvin Kant kant at strategie.tu-berlin.de
Mon Mar 28 15:34:22 GMT 2011

To whom it may concern

Can open source development be sustainable? And if so, how?

This question raises interest in practitioners, affects ideologically
motivated developers, as well as researchers from several disciplines. Open
source management challenges traditional business models and views of
competition and collaboration. Therefore each stakeholder should take an
interest in the way open source management works. Hence we investigate the
antecedents of business model choice in the OSS industry, aiming to
identify, which factors are or were influential for companies’ initial
business decision regarding Open Source. We identified your company as an
active member of open source collaboration and development and therefore
would like to ask you to participate in this investigation.

I am a research assistant at the Berlin Institute of Technology, Germany,
and my research project discusses the implications of open source
management. The main objective is analyzing key factors that drive the
development of open source business models and how companies and communities
can mutually benefit from collaborative development. The project is
supervised by Prof. Dr. zu Knyphausen-Aufseß.

I want to kindly ask you take part in our survey on open source business
models. If you were involved in decisions on the business strategy of your
company, please complete our survey. It will not take more than 10 – 15
minutes to complete. Otherwise, please forward this enquiry to your
colleague(s) who are or have been in charge for your business model
decision.

The survey can be accessed online at:

<http://strategie.service.tu-berlin.de/limesurvey/index.php?sid=96753&lang=e
n>
http://strategie.service.tu-berlin.de/limesurvey/index.php?sid=96753&lang=en

The anonymity of your responses is guaranteed. All data will be analyzed and
published only in an aggregated form.

As compensation for your efforts, I would like to offer you a more detailed
report on our findings. If you relinquish your anonymity, I can also provide
you with a benchmark report that compares your individual answers to the
overall study results.

Further information about our research can be found at
<http://www.oss-research.info/> http://www.oss-research.info

I want to thank you in advance for your support.

Yours sincerely

Martin Heitmann