[vbox-dev] Good News: GuestRobot project completed using VirtualBox API; plus some remarks on the API

Christian Pötzsch christian.poetzsch at oracle.com
Fri Mar 18 15:44:53 GMT 2011

Hi Alexey,

On 03/18/11 16:28, Alexey Eromenko wrote:
>  #  Bad news: developer's documentation is hard to use, and unclear
> in some cases: (SDKref.pdf)
>     #  1. keyboard putScancode() -- scancodes not documented. At least
> a link should be provided, or document ourselves.
>     #  2. createMachine() -- docs unclear -- what does parameter 1 &
> parameter 2?
>     #    paremeter 3 (osTypeId) is not documented. I had to decipher it.
>     #  3. tutorial: unclear
>     #    I re-read sections 2.3.1 and 2.3.2 of SDK about Python bindings, still
>     #    it did not allow me to start wirint things. Too unclear,
> lacking exmple how-to start a VM.
>     #
>     #    needs at least tell users how-to start VM, and which classes
> are absolutely critical:
>     #    (vbox / session / machine / mgr ...)
>     #  4. VBox constants: docs unclear (had to use "vboxshell.py" as reference)
>     #
>     #  I can fix some of the documentation.

since 4.0 the sources of the documentation are OSE as well. Feel free to
write some "Start developing with the VBox API" guide and provide a
patch. As you may imagine thats something we haven't that much time for.
So any contribution is welcome (ofc it has to be correct in language and
form).

Christian

--
Dr. Christian Pötzsch                             http://www.oracle.com/
Sitz der Gesellschaft: ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG,

Rijnzathe 6, 3454PV De Meern, Niederlande