[vbox-dev] quiesce disk

Klaus Espenlaub klaus.espenlaub at oracle.com
Thu Jun 16 19:13:29 GMT 2011

On 16.06.2011 19:23, Geoff Nordli wrote:
> Is there a way to quiesce a disk to take a file system snapshot?

Pausing a VM implicitly completes all outstanding async I/O requests,
which includes the dirty parts of the cache.

> If you are using cached i/o then it would need to flush the cache as well.

The guest has its own cache, and we don't have control over that...

So the result of taking a snapshot will be an image of limited
consistency. This is the reason why a proper snapshot of a VM includes
the entire state of the system, including RAM, device state and so on.

Klaus