[vbox-dev] Pegged kernel_task with VirtualBox 4.1, makes system unresponsive

Mitchell Hashimoto mitchell.hashimoto at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 19:59:29 GMT 2011

Hello,

I've just cleanly installed Mac OS X 10.7.0 and VirtualBox 4.1. I've been
creating new Ubuntu virtual machines and have been seeing issues with my
kernel_task (pid 0) taking 100% CPU, making the rest of the system
unresponsive for periods of time.

I've slowly narrowed this down to a single reproducible case. It seems that
whenever the "Unpacking" step is reached in an apt-get install, then
kernel_task goes to 100%. I don't know much about virtualization internals
but I would suspect that something is wrong with disk I/O reads.

Has anyone seen this yet? I can reproduce it consistently, and this doesn't
occur in 10.6.0.

Best,
Mitchell