[vbox-dev] NAT IPv6 does exist

Renzo Davoli renzo at cs.unibo.it
Wed Jul 13 14:09:01 GMT 2011

On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 02:33:09PM +0300, Alexey Eromenko wrote:
> Hello Renzo,

> >> Would be really a great thing to have such functionality. The biggest
> >> problem will probably be the license...
> > It is a fork of LWIP (originally covered a 3 clauses BSD) protected by GPL.
> We see.
> As a VirtualBox community member I would like to ask you to relicense
> the code under of LWIPv6 and SLIRPv6 under the BSD, if possible.
>
> Please consider Relicensing.

I think that a good compromise could be LGPL.
I am evaluating the idea to relicense LWIPV6 as LGPL.
LWIPV6 is a library (SLIRPv6 is just a feature), so by LGPL VirtualBox could use
it, even in Oracle's proprietary solutions.

The only difference between LGPL and BSD for Oracle is that all the bugfixes,
new features included in LWIPV6 must be released as libre software by the same
license (it is not possible for Oracle to fork a proprietary library based on
LWIPV6).

renzo