[vbox-dev] grant access to usb device in vbox4.0.0

Michael Thayer michael.thayer at oracle.com
Mon Jan 31 10:59:36 GMT 2011

Hello Michal,

Le vendredi 14 janvier 2011 à 09:39 +0100, Michal Šebeň a écrit :
> I looked in rpm spec file which is included in tarball, to check how
> rpm build for SUSE deals with usb permissions problem :
[...]
> maybe I oversight but what about drop this concept and push to
> vboxdrv.rules these TWO lines (instead)? :
> SUBSYSTEM=="usb_device", ATTR{devnum}=="?*",
> ATTR{busnum}=="?*",NAME="vboxusb/$attr{busnum}/$attr{devnum}",
> GROUP=$group
> SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device", ATTR{devnum}=="?*",
> ATTR{busnum}=="?*",NAME="vboxusb/$attr{busnum}/$attr{devnum}",
> GROUP="$group
I haven't yet looked at this properly, but on the one hand our current
setup deliberately does not add USB hubs to /dev/vboxusb, as VirtualBox
doesn't access them - your change would loose that - and on the other,
wouldn't this prevent the normal /dev/bus/usb device nodes from being
created?

Regards,

Michael
--
ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG   Michael Thayer
Werkstrasse 24                     VirtualBox engineer
71384 Weinstadt, Germany           mailto:michael.thayer at oracle.com

Rijnzathe 6, 3454PV De Meern, Niederlande