[vbox-dev] Recent linux kernel commit breaks VBox networking

Larry Finger Larry.Finger at lwfinger.net
Sat Jan 22 00:54:56 GMT 2011

On 01/20/2011 07:46 PM, walt wrote:
>> [...]
>>> Just a little more info: Bridged networking works, but NAT fails.
>>
>> see also this thread:
>>
>> https://lkml.org/lkml/2011/1/20/449
>
> Excellent find, thank you.  I posted to this list because I didn't know if
> it was a kernel bug or not -- but Linus says it's a kernel bug, so you
> lucky vbox devs can ignore this thread completely :)

The bug was fixed with the following commit:

commit 28e58ee8ce1f0e69c207f747b7b9054b071e328d
Author: Linus Torvalds <torvalds at linux-foundation.org>
Date:   Thu Jan 20 16:21:59 2011 -0800

    Fix broken "pipe: use event aware wakeups" optimization

    Commit e462c448fdc8 ("pipe: use event aware wakeups") optimized the pipe
    event wakeup calls to avoid wakeups if the events do not match the
    requested set.

With that change in my kernel, NAT networking works again.