[vbox-dev] Transparent Memory Compress

Klaus Espenlaub klaus.espenlaub at oracle.com
Fri Jan 21 15:45:08 GMT 2011

On 20.01.2011 15:33, Howard Su wrote:
> Does vbox has this feature or in the road-map? If not, someone is
> familiar with the code base can show me some lights on what's the start
> point to add this feature?

What do you mean with "compress" - identifying indentical pages between
VMs and eliminating the duplicates? That's been added in VBox 3.2, page
fusion.

True compression of memory pages doesn't sound sensible to me at the VM
level - we don't know as much about the meaning/use pattern of a memory
page than the guest OS. Compressing the wrong pages would potentially do
more harm than good. It's a feature which is popping up in some
operating systems, and there it makes sense.

Klaus