[vbox-dev] Ubuntu package for headless installation

Frank Mehnert frank.mehnert at oracle.com
Fri Jan 14 13:47:14 GMT 2011

On Friday 14 January 2011 13:17:40 Dominik Springer wrote:
> On Thursday 13 January 2011 22:59:24 François Revol wrote:
> >> Maybe it could be broken down into vbox-common, vbox-headless, vbox-gui
> >> or something ? That is quite common practice on debian it seems.
>
> Frank Mehnert <frank.mehnert at ...> wrote:
> > You might have noted that we currently provide VirtualBox packages for
> > more than 30 different Linux distributions (even currently 10 only for
> > different Ubuntu releases) so there is no "Ubuntu" package.
>
> I got the point that there is a high effort to maintain
> all the different releases. (lenny_amd64, lenny_i386, squeeze_amd64,
> squeeze_i386, hardy_amd64, hardy_i386, karmic_amd64, karmic_i386,
> lucid_amd64, lucid_i386, maverick_amd64, maverick_i386)
> Obvious the idea to split up the package(s) sounds best to me,
> there might be another option. What about have the qt, x and sdl
> as recommends and the current recommends as suggests?

I don't think that's a good idea. Most people will use the Qt
GUI and I expect a lot of complaints that the dependent packages
are not installed by default. Note that the Debian/Ubuntu guys
already split their packages.

Kind regards,

Frank
--
ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG   Dr.-Ing. Frank Mehnert
Werkstrasse 24                     Staff Engineer, VirtualBox
71384 Weinstadt, Germany           mailto:frank.mehnert at oracle.com

Rijnzathe 6, 3454PV De Meern, Niederlande