[vbox-dev] VirtualBox 4.0 third party extension build process

Klaus Espenlaub klaus.espenlaub at oracle.com
Fri Jan 7 20:38:27 GMT 2011

On 25.12.2010 15:54, Manuel Reimer wrote:
> Achim Hasenmüller wrote:
>> We are working on examples. What do you have in mind as an extension
>> pack? This would help to us to determine the kind of example we should
>> build.
>
> Maybe something, which could allow intrested people to bring the USB
> support to the OSE version of VBox? IMHO this is a feature, also
> important for home users or people just using VBox to do development. A
> good start may be to port over the unchanged USB passthrough support of
> qemu. If changes and improvements are done, then those fixes could be
> also offered back to the qemu developers to allow them to improve their
> stuff, also.

Just double checking: you're aware that VirtualBox 4.0 includes full USB
1.1 support (USB 2.0 devices are "converted")? This is a significant
change from earlier releases. Only the virtual USB 2.0 controller is not
available, it's part of the extension pack. Or are you talking about an
open source virtual USB 2.0 controller?

So there is already quite a bit USB "sample code".

Klaus