[vbox-dev] creating symlinks in shared folders appears to be broken

Brian Campbell bacam at z273.org.uk
Thu Jan 6 19:25:32 GMT 2011

Hi,

On Thu, Jan 06, 2011 at 03:46:11AM -0800, Life is hard, and then you die wrote:

> vboxCallSymlink() in VBoxGuestR0LibSharedFolders.c is defined as
> taking a PSHFLFSOBJINFO parameter; but the corresponding vbsfSymlink()
> in vbsf.cpp (and the associated calling code in service.cpp) expect a
> PRTFSOBJINFO instead. This results in any attempt to create a symlink
> by a guest failing at the size check on line 1192 in service.cpp .
>
> It appears the breakage was introduced in r33994 (public svn repo) due
> to an imcomplete set of changes. I think the attached patch should fix
> things, but it is untested (so maybe view it as a guide rather than a
> definitive fix).
>
> If anybody can confirm the issue and the proposed fix then I can
> finalize my Solaris-guest patches and submit them.

There have been similar problems with 64 bit Linux systems, and I've just been
trying out an almost identical patch having come to the same conclusions:

  http://www.virtualbox.org/attachment/ticket/818/symlink-fix-4.0.0.patch

It'd be nice if it was sorted out before the next maintenance release.

Cheers,

  Brian