[vbox-dev] better to use relative paths inside VirtualBox.xml?

Klaus Espenlaub klaus.espenlaub at oracle.com
Fri Feb 25 08:45:22 GMT 2011

On 24.02.2011 20:22, Huihong Luo wrote:
> right now, absolute paths are used. I wonder if there are any
> disadvantages of using relative paths? Otherwise, relative paths would
> be better, for example, can move the whole folder to another location,
> and change VBOX_USER_HOME

The behavior of VBox changed in this area recently... since 4.0 relative
paths are used in new style configs for things which are in the VM
subdirectory, as a preparation for the planned feature which allows
users to copy a VM subdirectory and register it without tweaking.

The intention is rather similar to what you have in mind. So maybe it's
possible with a few extra changes to have this behavior too.