[vbox-dev] Logging question

Jos Backus jos at catnook.com
Fri Feb 18 20:36:52 GMT 2011

Hi,

Per #818, I'm trying to add link(2) support to vboxsf.

How do I write to the log file? I would expect LogAlways to always write to
the log, but it doesn't seem to work. The docs talk a little bit about
VBOX_LOG and VBOX_LOG_DEST but are not very helpful. Using

    export VBOX_LOG=+all.e.l.l2.f

produces way too much logging but it's not clear to me how to limit the
amount.

For example, I want to insert some logging into the following files:

HostServices/SharedFolders/service.cpp
HostServices/SharedFolders/vbsf.cpp
Runtime/r3/posix/symlink-posix.cpp
Additions/linux/sharedfolders/dirops.c
Additions/common/VBoxGuestLib/VBoxGuestR0LibSharedFolders.c

as I believe based on how symlink(2) was implemented, in order to add link(2)
support, these files need to be edited. But it's not at all clear what
LOG_GROUPs these files map to. Ideally there would be a logging call I can use
that always produces log output, as I expected LogAlways() to do.

Any pointers/suggestions?

Thanks,
Jos

--