[vbox-dev] proposal: Unattended Guest OS Installs for VirtualBox ?

Alexey Eromenko al4321 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 12:20:22 GMT 2011

On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 1:46 PM, Branko Majic <branko at majic.rs> wrote:
> To be honest, that looks a bit out of scope in relation to VirtualBox. Some distros provide means for unattended installs, though (RH/Fedora Kickstart, or Debiab preseed).

As I said, competition has this feature *built-in* into the
virtualizer itself. It means this is very much in the scope. Modern
virtualizer should not be spartan (for that we have KVM), but it
should become nice bells-and-whsitles, nice GUI tools, built-in.

The unattended installs of various distros (Red Hat kickstart, SUSE
Yast, Debian preseed, and Windows unattended) are hard to use for
newbies. Those will become back-ends.

The goal is to provide integrated, streamlined and GUI-driven
interface for those backends. We will use distro-specific installers
internally, but users will use GUI (with very few questions), not
commands.

--
-Alexey Eromenko "Technologov"