[vbox-dev] Inclusion of the Guest Additions in Ubuntu 11.10 by default

François Revol revol at free.fr
Tue Aug 30 19:57:39 GMT 2011

Le 30/08/2011 20:38, Felix Geyer a écrit :
> On 30.08.2011 18:21, Michael Thayer wrote:
>> One of the things I am worried about is situations like when the system
>> has installed some old Additions version and the user installs current
>> Additions following our instructions, and then the system does some
>> minor update, partly or fully overwriting our Additions and the end
>> result is not very pretty.
>
> The additions installer could detect if the distribution package is installed
> and offer to remove it.

Cleanest way would be for the installer to install it as a native
package for the distro, either replacing the same package with a newer
version, or as a different package ("virtualbox-guest-official")
advertising conflicts with the distro's own packages
(virtualbox-guest-{dkms,source,utils}), and let the distro's packager
handle it.

François.