[vbox-dev] Maximum NIC number and SystemProperties.getMaxNetworkAdapters

Olivier Cochard-Labbé olivier at cochard.me
Tue Aug 16 15:38:35 GMT 2011

Hi all,

I'm trying to create a VM with more than 8 NIC.

Referring to the API manual:
"The total number of adapters per machine is defined by the
ISystemProperties::getMaxNetworkAdapters property, so the maximum slot
number is one less than that property's value"

Because I'm using ChipsetType ICH9, a call to:
$VIRTUALBOX.SystemProperties.getMaxNetworkAdapters($ChipsetType_ICH9)
give me a result of 36 NIC… Great !

But, when I'm trying to create more than 8 NIC:
$ADAPTER=$SESSION.machine.getNetworkAdapter(8)

I've got an error message:
Argument slot is invalid (must be slot < RT_ELEMENTS(mNetworkAdapters)) »

How Can I configure more than 8 NIC ?

Thanks,

Olivier