[vbox-dev] HGCM for USB2.0 required?

Knut St. Osmundsen knut.osmundsen at oracle.com
Thu Aug 4 19:47:29 GMT 2011

I am sure that I or someone else from Oracle has already mentioned that we will fix the Windows build issues eventually. This involves updating and upgrading our internal tool chain on windows to the Windows 7 WDK level, dropping the visual c++ requirement if possible (practically and otherwise). Now, there are a number of questions associated with this undertaking, there is also quite a bit of work to be done and it has to be done carefully. There is significant risk associated with this task (like subtle breakages). So, we will try resume working on it after 4.1 is branched off and temporary breakages can be tolerated.

We are often ignoring complains regarding tools, sdks, ddks and such because they are scheduled to be addressed and as I said, I'm sure we've already communicated that. Genuine build fixes that only show up in Windows OSE, will of course eventually be taken care of.

Kind Regards,
 Knut.

PS. Come to think of it. We were working on windows build issues in 4.1 - the recompiler updates was started to eventually get the source in a shape where it can be compiled with mingw64.  Thus making 64-bit VirtualBox somewhat easier to build.