[vbox-dev] HGCM for USB2.0 required?

Ribhi Kamal rbhkamal at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 23:43:53 GMT 2011

Is there a special compile-config option that I have to enable inorder to
get USB 2.0 working? vboxmange list extpacks shows that my extension pack is
installed and usable, and I'm not getting any runtime errors or even
warnings.

I've been trouble shooting this problem for two days now and I only managed
to isolate the problem to VBoxC.dll. The only way I was able to get USB 2.0
to work is by replacing my VBoxC.dll with the one packaged with the
virtualbox install.

Here is my info:
VirtualBox 4.0.4 -- Self Compiled
Windows 7 x64

Thanks!

On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 5:54 AM, Vitali Pelenjow
<Vitali.Pelenjow at oracle.com>wrote:

> No, HGCM is not required for USB2.0.
>
> You get the HGCM error, because the services (SharedFolders,
> GuestProperties) were not loaded.
> But this does not affect USB 2.0 at all.
>
> Vitali.
>
> Ribhi Kamal wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>> Is the HGCM service required in order for USB 2.0 to work?
>>
>> For some reason USB 2.0 doesn't work with my build and the only error
>> messages that I see in the machine log is the following:
>> 00:09:31.144 ERROR [COM]: aRC=E_UNEXPECTED (0x8000ffff)
>> aIID={515e8e8d-f932-4d8e-9f32-**79a52aead882} aComponent={Console}
>> aText={The service call failed with the error VERR_HGCM_SERVICE_NOT_FOUND},
>> preserve=false
>> Attached is the complete log.
>>
>> Thanks!
>> --