[vbox-dev] Announcement: GNS3 network simulator ported to VirtualBox engine
al4321 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 17 20:57:22 PDT 2011
Hi All !
During last two weeks I have ported GNS3 network simulator to
VirtualBox APIs, with the Alpha1 release available here:
It can start VirtualBox VMs, in additions to all existing types of
emulators. Requires VirtualBox 4.0 + VBox python APIs to be installed.
Expect unstable, but working VirtualBox implementation, and other
modules should be stable, just as in official GNS3 release.
Notes for this release:
1. Use GNS3 Edit->Preferences->VBox->Test, to make sure you have
VirtualBox installed. Must be v4.0.x
2. Use "Qemu Image" parameter as "VirtualBox VM name/UUID" for now.
3. All the configuration of VirtualBox VMs takes place in VirtualBox
GUI, not from GNS3.
4. Network: use VirtualBox GUI to connect VMs to bridge or to VDE.
This is because VirtualBox doesn't offer the UDP networking option.
5. check "modified.txt" to see what has been changed vs. the official
release. Quite a lot.
6. Non-VirtualBox-related functionality should be as stable as in
7. Cannot save/restore projects/topology
CALL for HELP: Please patch VirtualBox for UDP networking, so it can
work seamlessy in GNS3. I don't know C++, so I can't do this job.
Example UDP mode patches exist for Qemu here:
-Alexey Eromenko "Technologov"
More information about the vbox-dev