[vbox-dev] GNS3 Requirements brings "16 vNICs per VM" patch for VirtualBox

Alexey Eromenko al4321 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 23 06:27:59 GMT 2011

Hi All !

GNS3 network simulator, that I recently ported to VirtualBox, has few
new requirements:

a. UDP tunnels - new networking mode
b. 16 vNICs per VM - to allow virtual Linux routers in big network
topologies. (this patch addresses it)
c. Working COM interface on Windows hosts (see my other email about it)

Based on your patch from VirtualBox 2.1 era, I have extended it to
support 16 vNICs per VM.

Testing:
Tested on Debian Linux 6.0 host (+patched VBox v4.0.6) with Debian
Linux 6.0 guest ( all 16 AMD-pcNET III vNICs worked fine ).
With Windows XP guests, by contrast, only first 4 vNICs worked fine,
while all 16 were recognized by "Device Manager", only first 4 had
drivers loaded. Other 12 had yellow sign.
Since the same problem occurs on stock VirtualBox 4.0.6 (with 8
vNICs), I decided not to be holier than pope, and submit the patch for
inclusion with v4.1.

About UDP tunnels -- it will be done later by other community members
(as I can't port this patch from Qemu).

16 vNICs Patch attached.
--
-Alexey Eromenko "Technologov", 23.Apr.2011.