[vbox-dev] inspecting vm memory

Klaus Espenlaub klaus.espenlaub at oracle.com
Wed Apr 13 10:01:15 GMT 2011

On 12.04.2011 18:18, Stuart Maclean wrote:
> I would like to inspect a VM's memory pages, to monitor running
> processes. Is this possible using VBox? If yes, is there an API in the
> SDK, or would I be on my own. Any pointers to relevant places in the
> code would be most helpful. My hunch is that the VBox debugger might be
> using similar techniques.

VirtualBox has no knowledge what a process is - it simply emulates the
CPU and hardware used by the guest OS. Just to set a few expectations
straight.

What you could use is the debugger interface to retrieve memory
contents, however interpreting the meaning is up to you. You can also
set breakpoints etc etc...

The documentation is sparse, and there are some known issues with the
debugger in general. It's not the most important feature, so expect some
rough edges.

Klaus