[vbox-dev] 3D Acceleration broken: Help me file a bug with NVIDIA

Alexey Eromenko al4321 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 09:12:42 GMT 2011

VirtualBox becomes increasingly dependent on quality of host's OpenGL
drivers those days.

Situation:
Host: Debian 6.0, Intel Core i7-2600K, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti +
NV270.26 drivers, VBox 4.0.4

Guest: Windows 7

Without 2D/3D acceleration video works. (MPEG2)
With 2D/3D acceleration video stucks.
With 3D acceleration only video stucks.

It turns out, that Windows 7 guests (unlike XP guests) use host's "3D
acceleration" for 2D video rendering in Windows Media Player 12.

The same works on Windows host (on same hardware), pointing to
low-quality NVIDIA drivers on Linux host.

But requesting NVIDIA to setup VirtualBox + Windows 7 guest looks quite a lot.
Can we detect which OpenGL instructions fail, and open more specific bug ?

Here is the NVIDIA bugzilla:
http://nvidia-submit.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/nvidia_submit.cfg/php/enduser/acct_login.php

--
-Alexey Eromenko "Technologov"