[vbox-dev] VNC: Would it be possible please to support VNC server in official VirtualBox build ?

Klaus Espenlaub klaus.espenlaub at oracle.com
Mon Apr 4 16:24:52 GMT 2011

On 04.04.2011 18:10, Alexey Eromenko wrote:
> VNC source code was committed since v3.2.0, but is disabled in
> standard VirtualBox builds.

Due to licensing conflicts. libvnc is under GPLv2, which is something
we're not allowed to use in any code shipped as binary.

> Would it be possible for you to support VNC as part of the core
> product ? (the same way as Qemu/KVM do)

We'd love to have the code as an extension pack, maintained by some 3rd
party. This would allow better code quality, as people knowing about the
libvnc details would handle things, and an extension pack can have a
release cycle independent of VirtualBox updates. One of the reasons why
we spent the time introducing a generic interface for desktop access
protocols.

I've heard of some work being done in this direction, but no results so
far. In case the maintainer is stuck at some VirtualBox problem -
contact us again...

Klaus