[vbox-dev] VirtualBox Teleporting ... A follow-up question ... Interesting observation ...

Knut Osmundsen knut.osmundsen at oracle.com
Wed Sep 29 16:41:17 GMT 2010

On Sep 28, 2010, at 7:58 PM, Joseph Smith wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I made the updates based on the suggestions ... with those updates, teleporting any VM has been working reliably in all scenarios regardless of load or performance of the source and target systems.
>
> An observation I have made:  The 'teleporterEnabled' flag is still set on the 'source' VM.  I'm guessing it would be my responsibility to reset that flag.  Hmmm ... not a big deal ... I can do that.
>
> The interesting part however is:  The target machine, once it is shut-down (at any point after it was teleported), seems to believe it is still in 'to-be-teleported' mode.  Therefore, trying to start a target VM that was previously teleported shows the teleporting-in modal dialog.  At this point, the VM is not start-able.
>
> Problem is ... once the teleport has happened ... I will not be able to make any updates to the target VM to reset the teleporterEnabled flag.  To do this ... it implies I would have to persist this information somehow so that after the VM is shutdown or just before an attempt to restart, try to reset the flag.  Though clunky, this would work OK with my UI ... but would still be a problem for users that use the QT UI also.
>
> I would think the resetting of the teleporterEnabled flag on both the source and target VMs should be part of the teleport request itself if the teleport was successful.
>
> Any suggestions on how to 'reset' the target VM teleporterEnabled flag so a restart does not cause it to want to teleport-in again ?
>
> Am I missing something ?  Is this a bug ?

There is disabled code that tries to clear the teleporterEnabled flag, however it was disabled because it didn't work / was incomplete. The problem has to do with saving the VM settings at that point in time. It will be addressed in one of the next releases, I hope.

--

Kind regards / Mit freundlichen Gruessen / Vennlig hilsen,
 bird

--

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG  Knut St. Osmundsen
Werkstrasse 24                    Senior Staff Engineer, VirtualBox
71384 Weinstadt, Germany          mailto:bird at sun.com

Hauptverwaltung: Riesstr. 25, D-80992 Muenchen
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Muenchen, HRA 95603

Komplementaerin: ORACLE Deutschland Verwaltung B.V.
Rijnzathe 6, 3454PV De Meern, Niederlande
Geschaeftsfuehrer: J. Kunz, M. van de Molen, A. van der Ven