[vbox-dev] wddm driver

Mikhail Sennikovsky mikhail.sennikovsky at oracle.com
Tue Sep 21 17:59:31 GMT 2010

> 1. Will it support DirectX 6/7 ? (current WineD3D supports only DX8
> and above, preventing me from playing old 3D games under VBox)
There is no current plan to support DirectX < 8, although it should be
easy to add DirectX < 8 support since DirectX runtime most likely
translates DirectX <8 calls to the "generic" DirectX9 DDI calls to our
driver. We might have a look into this later.
> 2. Is WDDM kernel-space driver, that talks to userspace WineD3D libs ?
Unlike XPDM driver, display (d3d) wddm driver component is a user-mode
dll, thus we can use wine right within it.
> 3. Will it be able to pass Windows Logo (WHQL), if we put it under test ?
Not sure, but since we're doing nothing wrong in terms of WDDM DDI, this
should be possible.