[vbox-dev] git-svn cloned repository does not compile (was: very slow installing windows 7 sp1 beta refresh)

Carsten Juttner carjay at gmx.net
Tue Sep 14 21:53:39 GMT 2010

walt wrote:

> I've found an obvious bug in git-svn during this whole process, and
> I'd like
> to file a helpful bug report.  If you can spare a minute or two to
> give me
> your educated guess about it, I'd be very grateful.
>
> The clone I made of your svn repo using git-svn won't compile, and to
> me the
> error message doesn't make any sense:
>
> kBuild: Compiling RuntimeR3 -
> /U/wa1ter/src/vbox.git/src/VBox/Runtime/common/misc/buildconfig.cpp
> /U/wa1ter/src/vbox.git/src/VBox/Runtime/common/misc/buildconfig.cpp:
> In function ‘uint32_t RTBldCfgRevision()’:
> /U/wa1ter/src/vbox.git/src/VBox/Runtime/common/misc/buildconfig.cpp:39:
> error: ‘ev’ was not declared in this scope
>
> The source file is identical between your svn repo and my git-svn
> repo, so it
> seems git-svn has messed up some other file(s) somewhere.
>
> Any wild guesses about where I should look in my git-svn repo to find
> the real
> source of the breakage?

Walt, this is not a bug with git-svn, it is due to some SVN-magic in the
vbox compile Config.kmk. I had the same issue and used a simple patch to
get rid of it.

Compile fails in case this file is not part of a real svn-repository
because one of its variables relies on the SVN keyword expansion feature
to assign the current revision number to VBOX_SVN_REV.

My makeshift patch against this simply hardcodes a fixed number which is
not a perfect solution but I had no better idea at the time.
It tries to check if the value in VBOX_SVN_REV makes sense before using
the hardcoded number though so it would still work in a real svn (not
sure I actually tested this part though).

I have no idea if the revision number is important for anything or just
some developer convenience.

(...don't ask how long it took me to track this...)

See attachment.

Regards,
Carsten