[vbox-dev] very slow installing windows 7 sp1 beta refresh

Sander van Leeuwen sander.x.van.leeuwen at oracle.com
Tue Sep 14 13:42:11 GMT 2010

  Walt,

The performance regression you're seeing is possibly fixed in the trunk
now (not synced yet).
Look for the following commit:
     SyncPageWorkerTrackDeref
<http://linserv.germany.sun.com/vbox/wiki/SyncPageWorkerTrackDeref>: Use
the hint we retrieved from the cached dirty guest PT.
     Do not reset the modifications counter in InvalidatePage
<http://linserv.germany.sun.com/vbox/wiki/InvalidatePage>.

Sander

On 9/14/2010 12:00 AM, walt wrote:
> On 09/13/2010 12:31 PM, Frank Mehnert wrote:

>>> I found the guilty commit:

>>> r32410 | vboxsync | 2010-09-10 07:19:33 -0700 (Fri, 10 Sep 2010) | 2
>>> lines
>>>
>>> Got rid of unnecessary dirty page flush in InvalidatePage. (NOTE:
>>> high risk
>>> change)
>>>

>> Thanks for this information! Does your host have an Intel CPU or an
>> AMD CPU?
>
> AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+
>
> I've found an obvious bug in git-svn during this whole process, and
> I'd like
> to file a helpful bug report.  If you can spare a minute or two to
> give me
> your educated guess about it, I'd be very grateful.
>
> The clone I made of your svn repo using git-svn won't compile, and to
> me the
> error message doesn't make any sense:
>
> kBuild: Compiling RuntimeR3 -
> /U/wa1ter/src/vbox.git/src/VBox/Runtime/common/misc/buildconfig.cpp
> /U/wa1ter/src/vbox.git/src/VBox/Runtime/common/misc/buildconfig.cpp:
> In function ‘uint32_t RTBldCfgRevision()’:
> /U/wa1ter/src/vbox.git/src/VBox/Runtime/common/misc/buildconfig.cpp:39: error:
> ‘ev’ was not declared in this scope
>
> The source file is identical between your svn repo and my git-svn
> repo, so it
> seems git-svn has messed up some other file(s) somewhere.
>
> Any wild guesses about where I should look in my git-svn repo to find
> the real
> source of the breakage?
>
> Many thanks for your help!

Kind regards / Mit freundlichen Gruessen / Met vriendelijke groet

--
Sander van Leeuwen | Senior Staff Engineer, VirtualBox
Oracle Virtualization

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG | Werkstrasse 24 | 71384 Weinstadt

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG

Rijnzathe 6, 3454PV De Meern, Niederlande