[vbox-dev] Help requested enabling vbox debugger

Glenn Tremblay gat at marathontechnologies.com
Tue Sep 14 05:59:47 GMT 2010

I am building and running vbox 3.2.8 OSE on CentOS with a Windows 2008
guest. But all attempts to enable the built-in vbox debugger have
failed. I read Chap 12 (Troubleshooting) of the vbox user manual and
tried both methods to enable the debugger (i.e. ./Virtualbox  -debug
-startvm on command line and exporting the vbox debug variables;
VBOX_GUI_DBG_ENABED/AUTO_SHOW). But when I start the Virtualbox GUI
(with the command line switches or environment variables) I do not get a
debug menu or windows. Interestingly if I do a "Virtualbox -help" none
of the switch options are debug switches (as documented in the code).
I'm not sure if this is an indication that the debug features are not
built into my version? I tried to enable VBOX_WITH_DEBUGGING in
LocalConfig.kmk - but my build broke because of no ../Debugger facility
in my source tree. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong.

Could someone kindly assist me in how to properly enable the vbox
debugger in my build environment?

Thank you in advance,

Glenn