[vbox-dev] /proc/cpuinfo in VirtualBox

Stéphane Charette stephanecharette at gmail.com
Sat Sep 11 05:01:24 GMT 2010

I have 2 virtualbox guest instances where the /proc/cpuinfo reports the CPU
as 0.0 MHz.  This is causing problems for an app that is parsing the
/proc/cpuinfo and getting hung up on that value.  (It actually is causing a
divide-by-zero since the app is using that value to do some calculations.)

The host is Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit, and both of the guests are also Ubuntu
10.04 64-bit.  I'm using VB v3.2.8r64453.

Is this normal, or should there be a value in that field?  I understand how
when virtualized the cpu speed is a loose number, and if a system is idle it
does't get any physical CPU cycles.  But I'm wondering if there should still
be something in that field, or whether this app needs to get the cpu speed
from some other source to make in work in VirtualBox.

See here for an example output from the first guest.  The 2nd guest is
identical with the exception of a slightly higher bogomips:

stephane at vm-1:~$ uname -a
Linux as1k-vm-33 2.6.32-24-server #39-Ubuntu SMP Wed Jul 28 06:21:40 UTC
2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux
stephane at vm-1:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor    : 0
vendor_id    : GenuineIntel
cpu family   : 6
model        : 15
model name   : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     T7500  @ 2.20GHz
stepping     : 10
cpu MHz      : 0.000
cache size   : 6144 KB
fpu          : yes
fpu_exception: yes
cpuid level  : 5
wp           : yes
flags        : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov
pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx lm constant_tsc up rep_good
pni monitor ssse3 lahf_lm
bogomips     : 1451.62
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment: 64
address sizes: 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management:

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Stéphane Charette