[vbox-dev] policy on COM interface GUIDs?

Frank Mehnert frank.mehnert at oracle.com
Thu Sep 2 15:42:39 GMT 2010

On Thursday 02 September 2010, Huihong Luo wrote:
> I noted that those guids on COM interfaces, such as IVirtualBox, keep
> changing these days, so binaries compiled from previous build of SDK will
> no longer work.
> What is the policy for this kind of changes? Is it true that guid will be
> different whenever the interface has a new method? or renamed method?

The interface UUID is changed if one method is removed or changes its
parameters. Normally the UUID is not changed if only new methods are
added but even in that case it might be possible that we change the
UUID. The UUIDs are never changed when staying on one branch. Keep
in mind that trunk is the development tree.

Kind regards,

Frank
--
ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG   Dr.-Ing. Frank Mehnert
Werkstrasse 24                     Staff Engineer, VirtualBox
71384 Weinstadt, Germany           mailto:frank.mehnert at oracle.com

Rijnzathe 6, 3454PV De Meern, Niederlande