[vbox-dev] VRDP and multiple consoles ...

Joseph Smith joseph1962smith at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 22 10:41:06 GMT 2010

Hi All,

Is it possible to use VRDP to a guest with multiple monitors and have a RDP
connection for each/either monitor?

Sure ... what's the point of having a VM with multiple monitors if you are going
to access it remotely.  Actually ... this setup is used mainly for testing a
custom application which relies on a multi-monitor configuration.

The goal is to be able to remotely access the VM periodically and connect to
either or both monitors.

The guest is running openSuse 11.2 and I am relying on the RDP capabilities of
VirtualBox to connect to the console of the VM.

Using IDisplay::getScreenResolution (monitor ID) I am able to get the display
geometry details for each of the consoles.

Using IConsole::remoteDisplayInfo only provides port information for one VRDP
screen (seems to always be monitor ID = 0).

Does this mean I will not be able to use VRDP to connect to a monitor other than
the primary?  Is it possible/likely in the future that
IConsole::remoteDisplayInfo will return a list of objects where each entry in
the list would be for each monitor of a multi-monitor configuration?

Any ideas how to work around this ... or am I missing somthing ?

Thanks,
Joe