[vbox-dev] SysyemCall in VirtualBOx

Sander van Leeuwen sander.x.van.leeuwen at oracle.com
Mon Oct 18 08:06:26 GMT 2010

  There are two modes for delivering interrupts and traps to a guest
with software virtualization:
- trap forwarding: 'int xx' generates a #GP that the hypervisor
intercepts, after which it interprets the instruction and (usually)
forwards to the guest IDT entry
- IDT gate passthrough; in certain specific cases we use trampoline code
to directly call the guest's IDT handler (int xx -> trampoline handler
-> guest idt handler; no hypervisor interaction occurs)

Neither method applies to hardware virtualization (VT-x/AMD-V) as the
guest execution mode is identical to what it expects (no ring
compression; guest ring 0 code running in ring 1).

On 10/15/2010 6:05 PM, Francesco Di Paolo wrote:
> hello there, i
> i'd like to have some informations in regards to how the hypervisor
> takes over when a system call(int 0x80) occurs in the guest OS. How it
> is managed the passage from Ring3 to Ring1. What i'm facing is
> understand what is going on when an application in the guest OS
> invokes a system call(i didn't get if it is involved the host kernel
> and its IDT or if there are interactions only between the application
> and the guest kernel). If you could give us some suggestions, we would
> be very grateful.

Kind regards / Mit freundlichen Gruessen / Met vriendelijke groet

--
Sander van Leeuwen | Senior Staff Engineer, VirtualBox
Oracle Virtualization

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG | Werkstrasse 24 | 71384 Weinstadt

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG

Rijnzathe 6, 3454PV De Meern, Niederlande