[vbox-dev] Nested virtualization problem

Geoff Nordli geoffn at gnaa.net
Thu Oct 14 16:32:53 GMT 2010

VirtualBox
>could have, and for some reason this word is only used in a context where
there
>is most likely near zero customer demand for something which requires weeks
of
>work for the most skilled engineers.

You are right, putting on the business hat you have to prioritize your
resources to tackle the items most likely to drive demand for your
customers.

If someone told me I could sponsor an engineer for two weeks and I would get
hardware level virtualization inside virtualbox, which would allow me to run
ESXi, Hyper-V, and XEN, I would do it in a second.

We will probably see more demand for this type of feature in future as more
applications are designed to leverage the hardware virtualization available
to them.

>What I know is that one can run VirtualBox (in software virtualization
>mode) in a VirtualBox VM in hardware virtualization mode. The same should
work
>for other virtualizers, although I personally haven't tried.
>
>Klaus

Yes, you can run a type 2 hypervisor inside of virtualbox, but I would need
to run a type 1 hypervisor which needs the hardware assisted virtualization
to run.

BTW, this isn't a feature that I was expecting to see, but since someone
posted it, I am throwing my support behind it.

Geoff