[vbox-dev] async iscsi and local cache

Achim Hasenmüller achim.hasenmueller at oracle.com
Tue Oct 12 06:18:42 GMT 2010

On Oct 11, 2010, at 22:23 , Geoff Nordli wrote:

> I saw some svn commits around async iscsi and local caching for writes, but this didn’t show up on the changelog for 3.2.10.
>
> Did this functionality not get into 3.2.10?

The public subversion repository captures the development stream of what will become the next major version of VirtualBox. 3.2.10 is a maintenance update and typically only gets bugfixes and the like. We are considering to backport async iSCSI to 3.2 at some point but it's not in there.

If you compile trunk you get async iSCSI by default which can give you substantially higher throughput. So far we've mainly focused on running a large number of smaller VMs and thus did not want one single VM to cause any significant load on the storage server, thus synchronous iSCSI.

Achim