[vbox-dev] OSE r32797 causes null-pointer dereference on linux host

walt w41ter at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 00:08:50 GMT 2010

On 10/05/2010 10:45 AM, Perry Halbert wrote:
> What is the host? I worked the installs all the way up to r32892 and am using an XPpro SP3 x86_32 with Visual Studio 2005 guest in Ubuntu 10.04 x86_64 host to compile with. I have not had a host crash and everything is working as it should.

Hi Perry.  The crash happens on gentoo-linux, both 32-bit and 64-bit hosts, using
the latest kernel from Linus.git.[1]

Hi Knut,
Yes I can transcribe the kernel oops console output (when I'm more awake) but
there are very few debugging symbols in the output.  Tomorrow I will try to
figure out where I need to compile in more debugging symbols

> On 10/5/2010 11:13 AM, walt wrote:
>> This commit crashes my linux host just after starting XP guest:
>>
>> --- src/VBox/VMM/VMMR0/GVMMR0.cpp (revision 32796)
>> +++ src/VBox/VMM/VMMR0/GVMMR0.cpp (revision 32797)

>> I'm now up to date at OSE r32892 -- same crash, and reverting r32797
>> still fixes it.

[1]  The latest OSE.svn will no longer compile against kernel 2.6.35 because of
recent changes to the kernel data structures in include/linux/drm/drm_crtc.h