[vbox-dev] Ask to extend the BETA cycle of future major VirtualBox releases

Heinz Wiesinger HMWiesinger at liwjatan.at
Mon Oct 4 12:42:03 GMT 2010

On Monday 04 October 2010 14:02:44 Alexey Eromenko wrote:
> I am asking to extend the BETA cycle of future major VirtualBox releases.
>
> few cases:
> v3.1.0 release had serious problems with GuestAdditions for
> openSUSE-11.x guests, and had a VirtIO crash.
> v3.2.0 release had serious problems with PageFusion and with Intel
> Westmere class CPUs.
>
> It is quite sad that the major "x.y.0" releases are not stable enough.
> I would like to see major releases *much* more stable, and one
> possible way to do that is to extend the BETA cycle to something
> longer,
> and perhaps introduce the "RC" releases during the BETA cycle.

I don't think extending the BETA cycle would help much. The main issue is
exposure and that's a typical issue of beta/rc versions, not only for
VirtualBox.
The point is that a significant amount of users will wait for the "stable" .0
release to update, giving it much broader testing than the small(er) amount of
beta-testers ever could and hence finding mentioned bugs.
You'll never get the amount of users you have for a .0 release for a beta or
rc version.

My $0.02

Grs,
Heinz