[vbox-dev] Possibility to develop (Automatic) Unattended Guest OS Install

Alexey Eremenko al4321 at gmail.com
Fri May 28 10:38:20 GMT 2010

In case you have used VMware WS 6.5 or 7.x you noticed that it can
automatically install guest OS for you.
It is very handy as it saves a lot of time for advanced users, and is
a real saver for newbies.

There is a wish opened for some time:
http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/5810

But let's discuss what we need for this feature.
For Windows guests, it is simpler than for UNIX guests.

We need the following:
1. FAT-formatted floppy image
2. put single file with unattended script in there

This must be created on demand.

unattended script consists of parameters, and of Windows CD-key.
VM must be created with the following boot order: HDD->CD/DVD->Floppy
(reverse to what we currently have)

On Linux hosts this can be done by simple scripting:
1. dd if=/dev/zero of=myfloppy.img bs=1024 count=1440
2. mkfs.msdos myfloppy.img
3. mount -o loop myfloppy.img /mnt/
4. copy the unattended script into the image
5. create a VM with reverse boot order and insert Windows CD + floppy

Windows will install fully automatically.
On Windows hosts it is more problematic -- there is no way to loop
mount floppy image.

Example script attached for Windows XP guests. Just modify CD-key, and
encapsulate into floppy image.

Naming: VMware calls this feature "EasyInstall", so we can name it
"ExpressInstall".

--
-"Technologov"