[vbox-dev] sugestion to dev onto vbox

Klaus Espenlaub Klaus.Espenlaub at Sun.COM
Mon May 10 09:18:30 GMT 2010

Alexey Eremenko wrote:
> On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 4:38 AM, Nilton Jose Rizzo <rizzo at i805.com.br> wrote:
>>
>>   Hi all,
>>
>>    I'm new in using vbox, but i was used VMWere for long time, an old version.
>>
>>    I'm use virtual machines to learn more about OS's and applications
>>    and create small howto with screen shots or small movies, like this
>>    how to install freebsd on virtual box, in VMware have a mechanis to do
>>    this, but I dont find this in virtual box 3.1.6.  Are there in the
>>    future release?  Because this make diference.
>>
>>    TIA
>>

> VirtualBox does not include this feature, and unlikely to include this
> anytime soon.

Huh? VirtualBox supports taking screenshots via the API, and there's
also infrastructure for "taping" a VM session. The problem with the
latter is that we can't ship it due to the well-known licensing fee
issue associated with various video encoders. If you build VirtualBox
from sources you can let it talk to ffmpeg...

We just don't consider it worth the effort to put something in the GUI
which every host OS has plenty of facilities for - taking screenshots.

Klaus