[vbox-dev] Issues when stripping off EFI images

Felix Geyer debfx-vbox at fobos.de
Mon May 3 17:39:19 GMT 2010

As the VirtualBox EFI firmware images can only be built on Windows
they need to be stripped from the Debian virtualbox-ose package.

While doing so I enountered two issues (with VirtualBox 3.2.0 Beta 1):
1) The config option VBOX_WITH_EFIFW_PACKING isn't respected in the
root Makefile.kmk. Attached is a patch that fixes this.

2) When starting a VM that has EFI enabled but the EFI images aren't
available VirtualBox usually displays this error message:
Unknown error creating VM (VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND).
But sometimes the VM state is set to Aborted and the following message
is displayed instead: "The VM session was aborted.".
The problem is that it's just a generic error message and
VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND isn't mentioned at all.

Please CC me when replying as I'm not subscribed to vbox-dev.

Thanks,
Felix