[vbox-dev] iscsi initiator patch

Klaus Espenlaub Klaus.Espenlaub at Sun.COM
Mon Mar 8 20:45:53 GMT 2010

Klaus Espenlaub wrote:
> Gergely Sánta wrote:
>> Hi!

[...]
>> I downloaded sources and figured out, that the problem is in static
>> buffer in VBox initiator. iscsi-scst tries to send sensitive data sized
>> 96 bytes. I don't know, what this data is, but VBox denied our iscsi
>> disk because of this buffer. I increased static buffer size to 96 bytes
>> (sense[32] -> sense[96]) in VBox iscsi initiator module, compiled it,
>> and now it works just perfect.
>
> Thanks, fixing such problems have been on my todo list already.

Had enough time today to squeeze it in - been waiting for a sporadic
error to show up...

>> I'm attaching patchfile against version 3.1.4_OSE
>>
>> Do you think, it's acceptable for stable releases?
>
> The fix will break again when some iSCSI target comes around which
> provides even more sense data, so it is just one step.
>
> So from my point of view the solution is to both apply your patch and
> also make VirtualBox a little less paranoid. Having to truncate sense
> data is no error situation, so it should be handled gracefully.
>
> Again, thanks for providing the patch and reminding me.

The code change for this issue is in r27181. Note that there have been a
number of more or less significant iSCSI fixes over the last weeks.
Unfortunately it's not possible to use the ISCSIHDDCore.cpp file
straight from trunk, as a few things have been changed since 3.1 in an
incompatible way.

Klaus