[vbox-dev] VM state change

ravikanth at ravichaganti.com ravikanth at ravichaganti.com
Fri Mar 5 15:40:13 GMT 2010

Hi Achim,

OpenExistingConnection() works fine. However, I would like to find out if
it is possible to power ON a VM in the GUI session without opening the
console. This is important for me since I am not creating a front-end. I
would still use the GUI as the front-end and only create/manage virtual
machines from the commandline.

I have not looked at XIDL. So, I am unsure on how to autogenerate PS
scripts from that. I will look in to that sson.

Thanks
Ravi

> If you want to do something on an already running VM, you have to do
OpenExistingSession. Check the VBoxManage source code.

> PowerShell integration is a good idea, best would be to auto-generate
the
> integration based on our XIDL, the way we do it for all the other APIs.
>
> Achim.
>
> On Mar 5, 2010, at 11:19 , ravikanth at ravichaganti.com wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I am new to VirtualBox and exploring the COM interfaces to see how I
can
>> manage vBox VM from PowerShell cmdline. So far, I am able to CreateVM,
RegisterVM, UnregisterVM and List virtual machines. Also, I could open
>> remote session using OpenRemoteSession. However, I would like to be
able
>> to change the state of VM without opening a remote session. Using
openRemoteSession brings up the console window and I do not want to do
that.
>> Here is a set of commands I am currently running
>> #Initialize COM
>> $vBox = New-Object -ComObject VirtualBox.VirtualBox
>> $vBoxSession = New-Object -ComObject VirtualBox.Session
>> #Get VM1 in to $vm
>> $vm = $vBox.Machines[0]
>> #Open a remote session
>> $vBox.OpenRemoteSession($vBoxSession,$vm.Id,"gui",$null)
>> I can use now use the "$vBoxSession.Console" (PowerDown, etc) to change
the PowerState. Is there a way I can just Power on/off, Pause and
resume
>> virtual machine in the remote session (GUI) without opening the
console?
>> Thanks for your time,
>> Ravi
>> PS: I am aware of vBoxManage.exe but my idea of creating a PowerShell
library is to make it easy to manage VB guests over PowerShell remoting
channel.