[vbox-dev] Reading Guest Properties for running VM (SOAP APIs)
joseph1962smith at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 28 08:07:01 PDT 2010
I am encountering some challenges when trying to retrieve guest properties (enumerateGuestProperties) via the SOAP API.
I am able to use this API and retreive guest properties if the guest is not running ... but get a runtime exception if I try when the guest is running. I know it can be done since VBoxManage is able to ... but I'm wondering if this could possibly be a vboxwebsrv problem. Essentially ... the steps I use are:
1) Instantiate a new Session object
2) Using this session object ... try to open a new session (openSession)
3) If getting a new session fails ... try to open an existing session (openExistingSession)
3) With the opened session object ... get the machine object reference (ISession::machine)
4) Using the machine reference ... enumerate the guest properties (ISession::enumerateGuestProperties)
If the VM is not running ... it works perfectly. If the VM is running ... a runtime exception is thrown. The error thrown is:
"VirtualBox error: Internal application error (0x2147500037)"
Using the same Machine reference object I can retrieve other machine specific information ... so I know the machine ref is valid (additionally, the UUID on the machine ref matches the UUID of the VM).
I am also able to use this same approach to getting a session for both a non-running and running VM to start/stop/pause or otherwise manage a VM. As frequently suggested (<smile>) ... I have looked over how VBoxManage does it ... and I am unable to see a difference between how VBoxManage retreives the information when compared to they way I do.
I'm sure I must be doing something wrong ... but it sure does not seem very obvious.
Anyone have any suggestions they can offer ?
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the vbox-dev