[vbox-dev] Need help in converting windows backup (*.img) to vmdk

Mark Cranness mark.cranness at gmail.com
Fri Jun 4 00:15:39 GMT 2010

On Friday, June 04, 2010 6:24 AM,
jaswant chajed wrote:
> Just to mention, image backup of C: on my pc was taken using ODIN.

After a quick look at ODIN, it does support backup of only used blocks and does have various compression options.
I think it is likely that an ODIN created IMG file will have an ODIN header record in that file which describes which backup
options were used, so that it knows how to restore that image afterwards.
Any such header record will make the IMG file incompatible with convertfromraw.

A sure fire way to create a RAW img file is to use the Unix dd command (ddrescue preferably) from a Linux Live CD, google for
that.