[vbox-dev] Network Performace Benchmark

Liang Suilong liangsuilong at gmail.com
Tue Jun 1 09:26:09 GMT 2010

VBoxTunctl is likely to set tun device, Could you try it?

Maybe VBoxManage should add an option to set which devices are used at
bridge mode.

On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 1:37 AM, Alexey Eremenko <al4321 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, May 9, 2010 at 4:06 PM, Achim Hasenmueller <achim at sun.com> wrote:
> > Can you retry with E1000? Both PCnet and esp. virtio are not optimized.
> We
> > only added basic virtio, the plan is to optimize it for speed after 3.2.
> > On May 7, 2010, at 19:34 , Alexey Eremenko wrote:
> >

> Done.
> Host: Mandriva Linux 2010, x64, Intel Core 2 Q6600, VBox 3.2.0 + Qemu
> 0.11.0
> Guest(s): RHEL 5, x64
>
> Qemu/KVM used as part of Mandriva 2010 distro.

> Test between Host <-> Guest: -- Qemu/KVM vs VirtualBox
>
> VirtualBox:
>
> Connection via VBox "Bridge": (guest has VirtIO, connected to host's eth0)
> 270-280 Mbit/sec
>
> Connection via VBox "Bridge": (guest has E1000, PRO1000/MT,, connected
> to host's eth0)
> 136-143 Mbit/sec
>
> Qemu/KVM:
>
> Connection via KVM "Bridge/TAP": (guest has VirtIO, connected to host's
> tap0)
> 1.06-1.12 Gbit/sec
> +400% speed advantage
>
> Connection via KVM "Bridge/TAP": (guest has E1000, PRO1000/MT,
> connected to host's tap0)
> 185-188 Mbit/sec
> +30% speed advantage
>
> I don't know if the performance would be highter with TUN/TAP (VBox
> 2.0 and older) mode...
> i.e. Is the slowdown causes by vboxnetflt or some other reason ?
> Unfortunately VBox 3.2.0 does not support TUN/TAP, and VBox 2.0 won't
> install on such new hosts.
>
> --
> -"Technologov"

Fedora && Debian User, former Ubuntu User
My Page: http://www.liangsuilong.info
Fedora Project Contributor -- Packager && Ambassador
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Liangsuilong