[vbox-dev] Automated guest logons - How ?

Alexey Eremenko al4321 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 17:30:32 GMT 2010

I would like to try out "Automated guest logons".

I have read "Automated guest logons".
How-to use it?

Host: RHEL 5/x64, VBox 3.2.6.

But I still cannot login to the "Windows XP" guest OS.

1. I have installed GA with flag: /with_autologon
This installed fine, and disabled XP-style login.

2. VBoxManage controlvm "Windows XP" setcredentials "John Doe"
"secretpassword" "DOMTEST"
Why is the secretpassword has quotes?

NOTE: This example was taken from official docs: "9.3.1. Automated Windows
guest logons"

Anyway: I have created user "localuser" with "123456" password and
with admin privileges,
then I logout from my Admin account.
Now I had the login prompt. Is this OK?

When I used the command:
VBoxManage controlvm "Windows XP" setcredentials "localuser"
"secretpassword" "123456"
The login prompt changed from "Administrator" user to "localuser", but
password was still empty. I was unable to auto-logon.

I have tried to remove double quotes from "secretpassword" command. No effect.
Any ideas?

3. The Winlogon VBoxGINA(?) crashed a couple of times on user logout,
and I had a several cases where my VM was brutally shut-down on
"logoff" command.
Usually logoff should prompt me which user to login.

-------
Later, I also wanna try Linux guest auto-login using PAM.

--
-Alexey Eromenko "Technologov"