[vbox-dev] drag-n-drop is being implemented too

Michael Thayer michael.thayer at oracle.com
Mon Jul 26 15:20:50 GMT 2010

Hi Huihong,

Le dimanche 25 juillet 2010 à 12:05 -0700, Huihong Luo a écrit :
> Do you think Clipboard host service would be the right place to hold
> the dnd code on host?
I suppose it depends how you planned to implement it (or how you have
done so, depending).  If you reuse a lot of the existing clipboard
service code (e.g. signalling that new MIME data is available to drop
and letting the guest, or the host respectively, query the data in the
same way as the clipboard service currently does) then obviously it
would make sense, otherwise a new service would be better.  If you reuse
the clipboard service it might make sense to generalise it to allow
several independent clipboard "channels" in parallel with clearly
separated (from the point of view of their code, but not necessarily
from that of their run-time structure) front-ends (like the clipboard,
drag and drop and an X11 selection channel which I might add in the
future).

> Inside guest, VBoxTray is the right place, I think.
I would have thought so too - anyone who has done more with the Windows
Additions than me please speak up now if you disagree.

> vm-to-host seems to be even more difficult, as we are looking into the
> issue right now.
I came up with a rather perverse idea for that one - having one or two
invisible or single point windows as drop targets that you warp under
the guest pointer.  Hopefully you will think of something more elegant
though!

Regards,

Michael
--
ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG   Michael Thayer
Werkstrasse 24                     VirtualBox engineer
71384 Weinstadt, Germany           mailto:michael.thayer at sun.com

Rijnzathe 6, 3454PV De Meern, Niederlande