[vbox-dev] Speeding up VM boot/restore

Nicolay Vizovitin vizovitin at gmail.com
Mon Jul 12 09:57:27 GMT 2010

Thanks for answers.

On 7/9/10, Klaus Espenlaub <Klaus.Espenlaub at sun.com> wrote:

> So many questions, and all of them very tough to answer...
>
> If you wonder what's going on while the VM is powered up, have a look at
> VBox.log. The timestamp resolution there is high enough to get a pretty
> clear picture what's done when.

Ok. To be more practical, I'll ask the questions that are bothering me
right now.

1) What is the common time for network to get up? In our case it is
about 3 additional seconds. What can be done to reduce that time?
(Weird, but changing from DHCP to static IP did not help much.)

2) We noticed, that VM saved state uses (i.e. holds) only initialized
(or "touched") parts of the guest memory. Therefore, if snapshot is
done just after system boot it gets restored quickly. Otherwise (i.e.
it is done after few minutes passed) restore time may significantly
increase. Is that true? If so, is there a way to make VirtualBox or
guest OS to behave like it is the first scenario even if some time
already passed (but memory is not consumed intentionally by user
applications). Yes, that is probably impossible, but I still hope :)

--Best regards,
  Nicolay