[vbox-dev] About Virtual Box VM Scheduling mechanism

Nikolay Igotti Nikolay.Igotti at Sun.COM
Mon Jul 5 08:46:36 GMT 2010

  Hi Suk,

Suk Kyu Lee wrote:
> But I was wondering within the VMM, if there is any scheduling mechanism that might coordinate the work of each EMT that belongs to the VM. For example, EMT1 controls the CPU and while EMT1 is working, EMT2 is sleeping and etc.

  That's up to host OS to schedule tasks/threads, including ones
belonging to the VMM.
> Maybe my knowledge is not sufficient, but what do you mean by the host OS schedules the EMTs? Is there any mechanism that coordinates the EMTs within the host machine?

 EMT is just a thread (like one you create in your regular program with
pthread_create() or _beginthread()).
Host's kernel is what hypervisor runs on, we're Type 2 hypervisor.
> Likewise, within the Xen, I found out that there is a "Credit" Scheduler where it coordinates the CPU/IO resource amongst the VMs within the Xen VMM.

I'm not Xen expert, but guess you refer to this one
http://www.xen.org/files/summit_3/sched.pdf

This one looks like some form of additional scheduler on top of (or
integrated into) OS scheduler , and surely has its own benefits.
VirtualBox doesn't do that, and rely on host scheduling policies.

> Because when I was looking over the VirtualBox code, I couldn't find the code that coordinates the EMT threads. I even disabled the HALT/Yield function within the VMM.cpp but it looks like there hasn't been any effect with/without these functions.

 Yield just yields real CPU and it's up to host scheduler to decide what
to do next.

    Thanks,
      Nikolay

PS: I was also somewhat unclear in my previous mail:  when running guest
code with hardware acceleration, even non-privileged guest code
execution is initiated from host's kernel context, so in some sense
scheduling happens
inside HWACCMR0RunGuestCode() (see  src/VBox/VMM/VMMR0/HWACCMR0.cpp),
for VT-x it's VMXR0RunGuestCode().
You can think about this function as of simple scheduler (and probably
Knut or Sander  can shed more light on how exactly
scheduling decisions being made there).