[vbox-dev] About Virtual Box VM Scheduling mechanism

Nikolay Igotti Nikolay.Igotti at Sun.COM
Mon Jul 5 06:49:04 GMT 2010

  Hi,

Chris is correct that VM mostly executed in regular OS thread (called
EMT - emulation thread), things gets somewhat non-trivial when we talk
about priveledged guest execution. Guest R0 code is executed in
virtualized R0 (technically, in host kernel, inside ioctl() performed by
EMT), and in sense, R0 code has its own preemption mechanism (details
depends on virtualization technology used). Device emulation code is
also partially in R0, but probably not of much relevance here.
Guest SMP spawns multiple threads of execution (thus can use multiple
physical CPUs), and they interact via emulated interrupt controller (APIC)
and indirectly via shared resources locks (such as device lock).
Is there any specific problem you see?

Thanks,
Nikolay.