[vbox-dev] Snapshot/PowerDown issues

Steve Taylor steve.taylor at securecommand.com
Fri Jan 8 22:16:04 GMT 2010

Hey guys,

Just wanted to inform you that I've been having issues in v3.1.2 taking
a snapshot when the VM is running.  Whenever I restore to the snapshot
and power on the VM, the VM immediately reboots.  When I pause the VM
just before taking the snapshot, everything works as usual.  Can someone
explain to me the difference between a live snapshot (running) and an
online snapshot (paused), or is this unexpected behavior.

Also, I have a question about a bug that's been around for a long time.
When I execute the commands in multiple iterations:

PowerDown()
RestoreSnapshot()
OpenRemoteSession()

I get a bug where the powerdown will cause virtualbox to crash (usually
after the 3rd or 4th iteration) and an exception is caught that the RPC
service is unavailable.  I've had to resort to finding the
VirtualBox.exe and terminating the process to get around the PowerDown
problem.  Any thoughts?

Thanks!!

-Steve